Message from the Dean
My warmest greetings to you.
If you are new to Baltimore or unfamiliar with Towson University, then the College of Business and Economics (CBE) has some pleasant surprises in store for you. If you already know who we are, then I’m sure that you will recognize many cherished traditions that are hallmarks of our college.
We believe that today’s world is a fast-paced, technologically driven, networked-based and globally competitive environment. These attributes are apt to continually change the world of business and business education. We also believe that we must remain true to our time-tested fundamentals such as integrity, hard work and ethical values in order to prosper. In the CBE, these enduring principles lead our students, curriculum, faculty, facilities and community to new heights.
We encourage our students to invest in themselves by taking advantage of the many resources that Towson University offers. CBE is committed to providing students with the latest technology through excellent computer facilities equipped with the most up-to-date multimedia and business software including the state-of-the-art T. Rowe Price Finance Laboratory.
Here are some other areas in which CBE excels:
- Our faculty members are dedicated to providing a quality education for our students. Many of our faculty members have received high honors, including the USM Regents’ Faculty Award. Our faculty members' research appears in top journals and publications in business- and economics-related fields. Some faculty members also have been named Fulbright Scholars in their respective disciplines.
- We are committed to providing applied learning, both inside and outside of the classroom. For example, the Business Cornerstone course develops a student’s foundation in business education — Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes (KSAs). The course takes place in a mock boardroom providing an engaged environment focused on team work and developing professional skills. We also offer our Professional Experience course, where students put the KSAs to work through an approved internship at firms throughout the region.
- Our personalized and customized career service, TU Match links the “right” students to the “right” companies with available internships and permanent positions.
- Our student organizations are active in linking the college with the community by organizing field trips, guest speakers and community service activities.
- Our Student Academic and Academic Services office, located on the third floor of Stephens Hall, enhances the student experience in a variety of ways. Our team of professional staff, student consultants and assistants is available to direct students to the many resources available on campus as well as assist with academic issues.
Above all, it is our people who make Towson University’s College of Business and Economics the place to be in business education! Whether students are here to prepare for graduate school or the job market, our graduates are ready to compete with the best.
Shohreh Kaynama, Ph.D.
Dean and Professor
College of Business and Economics