Undergraduate Admissions

International Transfers

Towson University enrolls transfer students from more than 100 countries. International students who have attended a post-secondary college or university in their home country or any other country are strongly encouraged to apply to Towson.

We recognize that time, effort and expense are involved in completing course work at the school you previously attended. Therefore, we make every effort to evaluate your course work thoroughly and fairly to determine if transfer credit can be awarded at Towson.

Transfer Credits

To receive advanced standing or transfer credit for course work completed abroad, applicants must have university-level courses taught at schools approved by the Ministry of Education in that country. Courses must be equal in content and quality to those offered at Towson and must be completed at a level above the minimum passing grade. Applicants may be required to submit course descriptions at any time during the evaluation process. Final evaluations will not be made until applicants have enrolled at Towson.

Transfer credit for course work completed at other post-secondary schools is determined by an official Evaluation of Transfer Credit made by the university. Applicants who accept an offer of admission must also accept the procedure used by the university to evaluate their previous course work. The university may require applicants to obtain a detailed (course-by-course) evaluation of their previous course work from a professional foreign credential evaluation service in the US. Applicants must pay any fees required by such services. The university often refers applicants to World Education Services, Bowling Green Station, P.O. Box 5087, New York, NY 10274-5087, p: 212-966-6311, f: 212-739-6100, info@wes.org.


Limit on Transfer Credits

A maximum of 64 credits may be transferred from community colleges or other two-year institutions in the U.S. or abroad, while a maximum of 90 credits may be transferred from a four-year institution or combination of two and four-year institutions in the U.S. or abroad. A student’s final 30 credits must be completed at Towson as an enrolled student.


Transfer Credit Evaluation Process

Towson's Office of International Admissions will send an admission letter to you that will include the estimated number of credits that will transfer to Towson. After you accept the university's offer of admission, you will receive an official Evaluation of Transfer Credit. This evaluation is usually (but not always) preliminary in nature since you may be taking additional courses at the time of admission.

You must send your final transcripts to the Office of International Admissions at the end of your current semester.  A final evaluation of transfer credit will be prepared when your final transcripts are received.


Completing Your Admission Application

The following steps will help guide you through the Towson University application process.  If you have questions, contact us.

Application Requirements

1. Submit your bachelor's degree application online.
International students must submit their application through the Towson University online application

2. Submit your application fee.
A $45 non-refundable fee is required with your application.  When you apply online, you will be able to pay the application fee with a credit card or electronic check.

3. Submit a copy of your passport.
A copy of your passport photo ID that bears your complete legal name must be submitted.

Academic Requirements

1. Submit your secondary school/high school transcript.
If you’re in your final year of secondary school (high school), you must submit official, course-by-course grade reports, mark sheets or transcripts from the past three years. If you’ve already completed secondary school, you must submit a graduation certificate. If the original language of the records is not English, certified translations are required.

2. Submit your post-secondary school transcript.
If you have completed course work at a post-secondary school (college, university or professional school) you must submit official transcripts or mark sheets from each school attended. Advanced standing is granted for course work equivalent to courses offered at Towson. If the original language of the records is not English, certified translations are required.

7. Submit test results of English proficiency (non-native English speakers).
If you are not a native English speaker, you must demonstrate English-language proficiency by submitting one of the following:

  • Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), with a score of at least 500 (paper-based), 173 (computer-based) or 61 (internet-based).  More information can be found on the TOEFL website or by calling +1-609-771-7100.
  • Results of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a score of at least 5.5.
  • Results of an SAT I score of at least 470 on the Critical Reading section.  Mor information can be found on the College Board website or by calling +1-212-713-8000.
  • Grade of C or better in a college-level composition course from an accredited U.S. school or other English-language college program approved by Towson University.
  • Completion of Towson University's English Language Center (Level IV) program.  More information can be found online or by calling +1-410-704-2552.

Mail to:
Office of International Admissions
8000 York Road
Towson, MD 21252-0001

Immigration Requirements

International students must provide the following documentation in order to receive a Towson University Form I-20.


If you require sponsorship from Towson University as an F-1 student, the following documents must be submitted:

1. Copy of immigration documents: biographical page of passport, visa, I-94 and any other relevant immigration documents (i.e. current I-20, DS-2019, etc.)

2. Original financial statements that document funds for at least 1 year of tuition, fees and living expenses.  Estimated expenses are available from the International Student and Scholar Office.

If another person or agency will be sponsoring you, a Statement of Willingness (PDF) must be included along with the original financial statement(s).


If you are transferring your SEVIS record from another U.S. university and/or bringing dependents, the following documents must be submitted:

1.  If you are transferring your F-! record from another U.S. institution, you must submit Towson University's Transfer Eligibility Certificate (PDF).

2.  If you will be bringing your dependent(s), your financial documents must include dependent expenses.  You must also submit the following documentation:

Mail to:
Towson University
International Student & Scholar Office
7720 York Road, Suite 246
Towson, MD 21252

University Admissions

Phone: 410-704-2113
Fax: 410-704-3030
Campus Tours: 410-704-4696

Office Location

Office of Admissions
7800 York Road, 2nd Floor

University Codes

SAT: 5404
ACT: 1718
FAFSA: 002099