Undergraduate Admissions

Residency Requirements

To determine whether a student qualifies for in-state or out-of-state tuition, Towson University follows guidelines established by the University System of Maryland's Policy on Student Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes. The individual seeking in-state tuition status shall have the burden of proving that he or she satisfies all requirements of this policy, and in-state or out-of-state status will be assigned by the university upon review of the facts known or presented to it.

The initial determination for in-state residency will be based on the information you provide at the time you complete your application. Please contact University Admission at 410-704-2113 if you have questions or concerns.

New applicants who do not initially qualify are eligible to petition a tuition review committee for consideration. In order to obtain the instructions and petition form please email Admissions@towson.edu

The deadline to petition is the last day of drop/add for the term you wish to be considered. This form can be mailed to:

University Admissions
Attn: Residency Coordinator
8000 York Road
Towson, MD 21252

PLEASE NOTE: Official Comptroller copies of your Maryland income tax returns are now required, so please allow extra time to meet the requirements.

After the first term of attendance, students who wish to change their residency status should contact the Office of the Registrar to obtain a Petition for In-State Residency, 410-704-3104.

Non-U.S. Citizens

Towson University does not taken into account the citizenship of applicants for admission purposes. All applications are evaluated on merit and space availability within programs. Citizenship is never used to displace students from space within the university. It is however used when determining tuition and aid. Student that are non-U.S. citizens should fill out the regular admission applications, F-1 or J-1 students should fill out the international application. For questions or concerns please contact University Admissions at 410.704.2113 or Admissions@towson.edu.

Dream Act

The Maryland Dream Act allows high school graduates, who are undocumented immigrants, the opportunity to receive the lowest tuition rate, if they meet certain requirements. The law applies to undocumented high school graduates who live in all 24 jurisdictions within the state of Maryland. With the passage of the law, students can transfer from a Maryland community college after completing 60 credits or an associate’s degree and pay in-state tuition and fees at Maryland state four-year colleges and universities. For a full list of requirements please view the application below. The Maryland Dream Act took effect December 6, 2012, and students who enroll in the semesters following that date will have to comply with the new law.
To apply for Dream Act status please fill out the following form and return it to University Admissions prior to the start of the term: Dream Application For questions or concerns please contact Claire Keaton at 410.704.2113 or CKeaton@towson.edu.

DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)

On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. They are also eligible for work authorization. Deferred action is a use of prosecutorial discretion to defer removal action against an individual for a certain period of time. Deferred action does not provide lawful status.
DACA student can temporarily qualify for in-state tuition if they can submit their approval notification of their deferred action status (I-797, notice of action) to University Admissions prior to the start of the term. Deferred Action status must be held for 12 consecutive months prior to the start of the term to be eligible. If it is not held for 12 months please also submit your application receipt to assist with establishing 12 months. For questions or concerns please contact Claire Keaton at 410.704.2113 or CKeaton@towson.edu.

Aid for Undocumented Students:

The FAFSA is primarily, but not exclusively used to apply for federal aid including federal student loans, state aid, and need-based institutional aid. Unfortunately, undocumented students are not eligible to receive federal aid, grants and scholarships from the Maryland Higher Education Commission or need-based grants from TU. The following web sites provide information about available aid options for undocumented students:





University Admissions

Phone: 410-704-2113
Fax: 410-704-3030
Campus Tours: 410-704-4696

Office Location

Office of Admissions
7800 York Road, 2nd Floor

University Codes

SAT: 5404
ACT: 1718
FAFSA: 002099