International Programs

International Student Exchange

Frequently Asked Questions

These are some of the most frequently asked questions our office receives from both incoming and potential exchange students. If you do not find the answer to your question after reading through the information below, please feel free to contact the Study Abroad Office at

Admissions and Course Selection

How long does it take to be notified if I have been accepted to Towson University?
Once we have received your complete application, your acceptance packet will be mailed to your home university within three to four weeks.

Do I need to enroll in classes before arriving or is that something the Study Abroad Office will do for me?
The Study Abroad Office will enroll you in classes for your first semester of study at TU before you arrive based on the courses you selected on your application. If you need to make changes to your schedule, you can do so during the first week of classes. You will receive more information on how to switch classes at the International Exchange Student Orientation. We will contact you if we are unable to enroll you in the mandatory 12 credits.


Will Towson University guarantee on-campus housing if I am accepted?
Housing is guaranteed if you turn in your housing application and housing deposit form with your application by the due date.

Do I have to pay the housing deposit before I arrive?
Yes. In order to secure your housing you must pay the $350 deposit with your housing application. The Housing Office will only accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and International Money Orders for your housing deposit. The deposit will be refunded to you at the end of the semester or year as long as there are no damages to your room.

How much does housing cost? Do I have to live in university housing?
You can find the cost of university housing on the Housing and Residence Life website. International students will be placed in the Global Village unless otherwise notified. The Global Village is located in the Residence Tower. It is not mandatory to live in university housing. However, it can be difficult to find independent housing as an international student, especially if you are only here for one semester.

Do I need a meal plan?
All resident students (except those living in Towson Run Apartments) are required to purchase a meal plan. Students will be automatically enrolled in the 10 meals per week plan but may upgrade upon arrival. Students living in Towson Run Apartments may purchase a meal plan at their option. You can find more information about meals plans, along with the cost, on the Dining Services website.

Is bedding provided in the university housing?
Care packages are available for purchase at the Residence Tower upon arrival to help make your first few nights at Towson a little easier. Packages cost approximately $25 and include bed sheets, a blanket, a pillow case, a flashlight, a laundry basket, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, a toothbrush, and snacks (water bottle, instant noodles, popcorn, and a granola bar).

Visas and Arrival Information

I would like to apply for my visa. What do I need to take with me to my appointment with the US consulate?
Please refer to your acceptance packet which will give you detailed instructions on how to apply for your visa.

Who do I contact once I am at Towson if I have questions about my I-20 or visa?
The International Student and Scholar Office is your main contact at Towson if you have questions about immigration procedures and your visa. The Study Abroad Office is available to answer any other questions you may have about issues such as housing, billing and course selection.

Medical Insurance

Do I have to get Towson University medical insurance or can I use the insurance provided by my home university/country?
You MUST have medical insurance if you are studying at Towson University. You will automatically be enrolled in the TU insurance policy unless you complete the International Student Health Insurance Waiver Application and are approved.

Practical Information

Do I need to open a bank account or can I use my credit/debit card from my home country?
It is not necessary for you to open a bank account. If you will be studying at Towson for a year, it may be helpful, especially if you acquire an on-campus job. Please make sure to notify your bank or credit card company that you will be using your card in the US so they do not place a hold on your account. Also make sure that your credit/debit cards have a 4 digit pin code.

Does Towson University offer any chances to get involved with clubs and organizations?
Yes! Towson University is home to several unique clubs and organizations. You can find more information about all of the clubs and organizations offered at TU by clicking here.



Study Abroad Office
Psychology Building, 4th Floor
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Phone: 410-704-2451

Fax: 410-704-4703

TU Study Abroad Facebook page TU Abroad blog TU Study Abroad Pintrest


Towson Football Game




University Police

Closings & News
410-704-NEWS (6397)

Text Alerts
Sign up now